I know these weekly posts are called "Real Talk Thursdays" but you might not be able to relate to the stuff we've talked about before. This week, I want to dive into a topic that I'm sure a vast majority of women (and men) struggle with.
Body image.
Have you ever felt self-conscious because of your body? Of course, we all have certain parts we would like to fix, change, tweak, cut off, make harder/better/faster/stronger, etc. At this point, it is pretty much a fact that some people face more struggles than others due to genetics, lifestyle, and things that they can't control. But general society's thinking has not caught up with the research.
To those who have wanted to fix their "flaws" and have succeeded - congratulations. For us who are still struggling, it's ok. Everyone is different. What works for one person may not work for another. I look at a friend with a perfect hourglass shape and think, "I wish I looked like you" and they don't work out or eat healthy and this makes me realize - I know in my heart that everyone is different. We know those people whose tummies are like garbage disposals and stay flat as a board and there are others who get ravenously hungry when they don't eat 3000 calories a day. "Fast metabolisms" have always caused envy. A large determinant of a person's shape is based on something that we can't control. What is it though? Genetics? Luck? Nature? Nurture? Gut bacteria? Body type? Body type due to gut bacteria inherited through genetics?
So tell me why there is a stigma on people who are overweight? Not saying that stick people who eat junk food are entitled to do so, but someone who eats crap all the time and is shaped like a stick doesn't get dirty looks or a "shouldn't-you-be-eating-carrots-instead" look but a "why-can't-I-be-you" glare.
Once, I visited a certain healthy eating forum to see what they thought about the Military Diet which Angela reviewed here a couple weeks ago. I found that there was a divide in the responses. Some said it was worth a shot, after all the diet is low in calories and balanced (although avoided carbs as much as possible). Most people, however, said things along the lines of:
"Don't you know diets don't work?? Once you stop, the weight will come right back."
"Diets are soooo unhealthy. Don't bother. They wreck your metabolism. Just eat less and exercise more. It's a lifestyle change."
"Military Diet? You know the military doesn't actually do this, right? What other gimmicky crap will they think of next?"
"Psh. Good luck." *rolls eyes*
(paraphrased from memory)
Weight loss seems to be something everyone has an opinion on, yet very few people seem to have legitimate answers to common questions about the lifestyle change that weight loss requires. And even if they do, what works for someone, won't necessarily work for someone else.
What am I supposed to do?
Lift weights? Weights make me gain weight.
Cut out sugary drinks? I have pop maybe once a month. And cranberry and orange juice are good for you.
Eat more protein? Same thing.
Isn't protein supposed to make you full faster? Doesn't work for me.
Eat more dairy? Same thing.
Isn't dairy supposed to make you full faster? Doesn't work for me.
Eat less food? I've been consistently having 1200-1300 calories out of a recommended 1500. Doing a so-called "lifestyle change" and eating less gradually. You'd think after a month, you would see the scale go down 0.5 pounds. How much lower can I go and still enjoy more than 10 bites of food a day?
Exercise more? I am doing this. We'll see if it works this time.
Nothing is wrong with the Military Diet. You think diets are bad for your metabolism? Doesn't seem like it to me. It may be the best option for people, especially for me where one bad meal can negate a week's worth of deprivation or "healthy eating" depending on your outlook. Don't get me wrong, eating healthy makes me feel great but eating food is one of my favorite social activities. All of the times, when I think, "I ate too much" shouldn't I have just as many meals where I think, "I'm still really hungry"?
What is the right way to lose weight? I haven't figured it out for myself yet but it's a trial and error process as far as I'm concerned. After all, people will judge no matter what. Strangers, classmates, best friends, people on random forums.
Overall, some things work for some people and other things work for other people. You might have to literally work your a$$ off for hours every single day at the gym while your roommate can get away with just cutting candy bars out of his/her diet. Or, you might have absolutely no problem with constantly eating veggies and salads while your coworker thinks they're the devil. That's just the way it is.Who really cares about weight anyways? Isn't it just a representation of health that is sometimes misleading?
![]() |
| from pinterest.com |
If you feel the same way or are qualified to shed some light on diet and health, comment below!
Your Friend through all the Common Misconceptions, Kayla :)

No comments:
Post a Comment