Monday, September 30, 2013

Blueprint Cleanse - Review


Hey guys, it's Kayla! I recently came across this big Facebook ad on my news feed a couple months ago. It was a clean, streamlined photo of drinks in a row with blue caps. Intrigued, I researched the company that made them - Blueprint.

from blueprintcleanse.com 


Juice cleanses have been a trendy health craze for a while now. They are supposed to detox your system by allowing your digestive system to rest and give your body more energy to do other things like repair itself. In this case, the juices you drink aren't any ordinary and overpriced juices. You can't just use any old orange juice or cranberry juice to reap the benefits.

Blueprint juices are organic and unpasteurized, leaving all the vitamins and minerals inside. They're as good as juicing the fruits and vegetables yourself. They say that microwaving (and cooking food in general) can kill some of the vitamins and the same concept applies here. Blueprint juice is cold-pressed and unpasteurized meaning that the process to create the juice doesn't involve heat when breaking down or preserving the juice. But wait, isn't unpasteurized juice unhealthy or dangerous?

Is biting an orange slice and drinking the juice from it, unhealthy? No way! There may be some health risks involved, but it is similar to eating raw vegetables. The shelf life of these juices is a LOT shorter than the average juice (we're talking one to one and a half weeks instead of a couple of months). The juices also should not sit unrefrigerated for a long period of time and should be consumed within 3 days of opening.

I have tried each of these juices and I wanted to do an overall review and then a breakdown by juice.

Overview:

I attempted once before to do the 3 day cleanse. After research of the Blueprint website, I decided to do the "lightest cleanse" with the most variation of juices. As the cleanses increase in intensity, the number of green juices goes up. The "Renovation Cleanse," according to the Blueprint website, is supposedly for the people whose main source of vegetables are fries. This is the category I would fall in.

During the cleanse, hunger wasn't really an issue but I did miss chewing food. Each day on the cleanse, you drink 96 ounces of juice (and more if you drink water) so you definitely have enough in your stomach to keep it from rumbling. Basically, I drank a juice every 2-3 hours. This was hard for me because as soon as I finished a juice, it seemed, I had to start another.

I decided that the next time I would do the cleanse I would not get all 6 juices. If you only want to drink 5 juices a day, I would remove the beet juice because it would bring you closer to the Foundation cleanse, which is the second level. It was also my least favorite juice.

Click on these links to get a more in depth review! They will be updated as the reviews get completed:

  • Green Juice
  • Pineapple Apple Mint (P.A.M.) Juice
  • Beet Juice
  • Spicy Lemonade Juice
  • Cashew Milk

The green juice is the most nutrient-dense juice of the 5. The pineapple, apple, mint juice is a good metabolism booster. Don't be alarmed if the color of the beet juice comes out similar to how it went in. The spicy lemonade is surprisingly awesome and only has an aftertaste of heat. The cashew milk is the highlight and you drink this last. Don't be alarmed at the cashew mush. I thought of this as a motivation to continue the cleanse into the next day. Ending the day's cleanse on a good note made it more likely that I would continue.

I enjoyed this juice cleanse but I have a confession to make. I never completed a 3-day Blueprint cleanse. The day I did the cleanse, I tried all of the juices, finished maybe 4 and then ate boneless wings afterwards. (Mistake.) This is more of a reflection on my willpower and has nothing to do with the taste or quality of the juices.

In the future, I will try to do a cleanse (with 5 juices a day) but for now, I will have these juices to supplement my diet. This cleanse is one of the pricier ones and as a college student, I find it difficult to justify spending for the cleanse when I physically can't drink all of it and mentally can't push myself to drink it. When my motivation grows, I will try again and let you guys know what I think. For now I will have them as often as I can.

Blueprint is one of the many juice companies that offer unpasteurized detox cleanses. I haven't experienced many other juices similar to these but in the future I will try to do a comparison.


Get Some: You can find this juice at most (if not all) Whole Foods and at Blueprintcleanse.com though you will have to pay for shipping.


Each juice ranges from about $7-$10.

Cheers!

-----------

Are juice cleanses just a fad or do you think they have actual long-lasting health benefits? Let us know in the comments!


Your Good Friend in the Search for Health and Nutrition, Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment